Monday, January 12, 2009

Not another dog movie...



Saw Marley & Me Saturday night. I read the reviews, most of them were not encouraging. Usually, I'd trust the critics and save myself the effort and time; but I can't pass up the chance of watching a "dog movie". I'm glad I watched it.

No dull moments in the film, which is based on a true story. Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson underplay their roles. This is a good thing, since we can all focus on the movie's protagonist, Marley, the lovable yellow lab who just steals every scene he's in. I'm not going to spoil everyone's interest and excitement by narrating the whole story here. All I can say is this, please bring tissue, rolls of it, when you watch. You'll need it in the last 20 minutes of the movie.

Verdict: Marley & Me is no Fluke or My Dog Skip, or even Homeward Bound. Still, it is a very honest, straightforward, and uncompromising look at love, family, life, and death. At least, it's infinitely better than Underdog and Firehouse Dog (I told you, I don't pass up on "dog movies").

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha Max. I could pretty much relate to what you're saying. Can't help it...we're dog lovers...I'm looking forward to watching Marley and Me. Tissues? Guess I'll bring loads of them...I've got a lab too..So you pretty much know what I mean ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, MJ, right?!? Naku, baka di mo kayanin! I'm serious, it's heavy stuff. I miss Aslan!

    ReplyDelete