Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What a dope...

Michael Phelps has admitted to smoking cannabis and apologized after a picture of the record-breaking Olympian with a bong pipe was published in a British tabloid.

The swimmer, who won eight gold medals at the Beijing Games, conceded the authenticity of the picture published by the News of the World.

“I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment. I’m 23 years old and despite the successes I’ve had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again,” Phelps said in a statement.

Phelps’s career may now be tarnished beyond repair. Athletes caught using cannabis, a banned substance under rules set out by the World Anti-Doping Agency, face a ban of up to two years.

Phelps has never failed a drugs test and even offered to take extra tests before the Olympic Games in August to promote an anti-doping campaign.

So far, the authorities have no grounds for taking action and, even if ordered to take a new test, Phelps could still be shown to be drug-free because the alleged offense was said to have taken place in November.

The picture of Phelps, his baseball cap worn back to front, using a lighter to send smoke along his glass bong, emerged after a student party where the 6ft 4in swimmer was also claimed to have been drinking heavily, in stark contrast to his Olympic mantra, which was to swim, eat, sleep and swim again.

Well, what can I say, it happens to the best of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment